Benefits of Kettlebell training
Another week closer to gains and another week where I’ve had some frustrations and things that may change that path towards my overall goal of being the best I can be again on the stage. Got me thinking, what other sorts of training are there out there which will allow us to fit our fitness and health into our busy lifestyles and possibly be even easier on the budget to do at home, in the mornings and evenings (disclaimer – I am not held responsible for kettlebells coming into contact with light shades and bulbs!). This training is something that I used to do loads when I was first losing my weight and at the start of my journey to being fit. I now incorporate a lot of kettlebell training when I am looking at the functional side of training and bringing the heart rate up to provide fitness and fat loss. This is both when i am off season and coming towards the contest season.
THIS IS KETTLEBELLS
In part 1, I will discuss the benefits of kettlebell training, some of which I have mentioned already, and part 2 will be a brief explanation of a few of my favourite exercises that will give you an all over body workout both on your muscles and that good old set of lungs that you own!
Here are just some of the benefits for this week and next week I will go through some of the exercises to help you get to these benefits.
- 1. Increased cardiovascular fitness without having to spend hours on the treadmill.
- 2. Functionality in the strength gains that you make throughout without having to go through rep after rep of isolation.
- 3. Increased fat loss due to the high metabolic factor that swinging and throwing a weight around will give you (not literally throwing!)
- 4. Different to barbells and dumbbells in the way that it won’t just hit the targeted muscles it will also smash the core muscles too.
- 4. It will combine cardio AND strength training throughout the sessions bringing a whole new level of fitness to your game.
- 5. It is a much more enjoyable (if that is the word!) way of doing your workouts taking the monotony out of some of your sessions.
- 6. You can take your kettlebell around with you, nice and portable.
- 7. Increased muscular endurance and power.
- 8. Increased overall fitness.
- 9. Increased flexibility.
- 10. For busy people it is perfect, you can combine the weights and cardio in one and then still get the session in before you have to get your JT on and rock your ‘suit and tie s***’.
- 11. It can aid in increasing your overall flexibility without having to go through long drawn out stretches and the potential risks of some other dynamic stretching.
As you can see, there are loads of benefits that Kettlebell training will bring to the table even if you were to fit one of these in per week which is what I do during contest prep season as a kind of HIIT session, in fact it has allowed me to lower the overall amount of cardio I do in preparation for a show and I have found many clients benefit overall from all the things listed above, modtly increased fat loss and gains in fitness.