Yes guy’s spring is here and shorts are probably going to get their annual airing. Unless your name is Johnny Bravo your bottom half needs to be in proportion with your upper half to keep all those haters at bay. Unless you are going to cover up your legs for the whole summer then get on the Calf Blitzer People
Calf Blitz Routine
Yes guy’s spring is here and shorts are probably going to get their annual airing. Unless your name is Johnny Bravo your bottom half needs to be in proportion with your upper half to keep all those haters at bay. Unless you are going to cover up your legs for the whole summer then get on the Calf Blitzer People.
Points to Take on Board
1. Be prepared for pump pain and cramping. Calves done properly hurt like no other body part in regards to pump.
2. Engage the muscle – If the calf does not feel like a balloon that is going to pop after 8 good reps, it's fair to say you’re not doing it correctly.
3. Form is key for growth and progression - Start with your foot flat on the platform with the balls of your feet and toes on it.Drop the heel past horizontal to get a big Strech in your calf. Point toes up at the bottom of the Range Of Motion (ROM) and feel the tension in your shins. Then on the elevation start squeezing your calf and try to get on to your big toe at the very top of the ROM and squeeze hard. Yes guys it should feel like it is going to cramp.
4. There are 2 major muscles that make up the calf and you need to adopt both seated raises (to work the soleus) and standing raises (to work the Gastrocnemius) in order to achieve worthy calves.
1. Expecting to lift more than you can and choosing an inappropriate weight- don’t let your EGO get in the way of correct form
2. Not incorporating the full ROM, one must not forget to take your foot below horizontal flat foot level in the exercise. You will want to stretch the calf and engage the shin at the bottom of the ROM
3. Thinking you can’t push off any higher at the top end of the ROM –try and push a little extra at the top for full contraction and come on to your big toe. Yes you may cramp a little
4. Bouncing rather than contracting the muscle at the elevation of the exercise or not stretching it on the lowest part of the exercise.
5. Not understanding that calves need to be shocked more than upper body body parts in order to develop and grow due to the fact that they work when you’re upright and walking or even moving your feet.
6. Not hitting the calves from multiple angles with intensity
7. Forgetting that if the muscle is not under tension then you are not working it.
Plan of attack
5 x sets of seated calf raise machine, (start by using lighter weights and higher reps. Then gradually raise weight from set to set and reducing the reps see below;
Then perform a drop set with no rest interval
180kg 5 reps
160kg 5 reps
140 kg- 5reps
120 kg – 5 reps
100 kg – 5 reps
Keep going till all plates are off
Standing Calf Raise
Higher reps with lighter weights! 1 Giant set followed by a drop set of
60kg x 3 sets of 14 - 20 reps – 60 second rest time
1 x giant set followed by a drop set
40kg x 5 reps 60 secs rest
50kg x 5 reps 60 secs rest
60kg x 5 reps 60 secs rest
70kg x 5 reps 60 secs rest
Keep going up the rack for 5 reps and taking 60 secs rest
Go all the way back down the rack doing 3-5 reps on each weight - no rest
Toe push off a leg press
You will be pumped to the max by now so try 3 sets with a moderate weight that you can achieve full ROM with the stretch at the bottom and the full extension off the big toe at the top.
e.g. 3 sets of 8-12
By Mark Marcou