In recent years the amount of women that have been lifting weights has been increasing more and more, leaving people asking the question; Why Should Women Lift Weights?
Why should women lift weights?
Lifting weights has always been seen as more of a masculine thing to do and until very recently a lot of women feared that lifting weights would make them look manly, due to an increase in muscle size. However, there are plenty of reasons why women should lift weights.
Here are our Top 5 Reasons why Women SHOULD lift weights.
The Benefits of Weight Lifting for Women
- 1. The first brilliant benefit to women lifting weights is the increase in EPOC which is Excessive Post Exercise Oxygen Consumption. EPOC occurs during homeostasis (when the Human Body keeps a constant internal temperature) so when the body needs to return back to its normal state. However when you lift weights your body has to work much harder to do so thus extra energy is required and more calories are burned for hours after your session.
- 2. Another reason that women should lift is quite simply a sense of empowerment and an increase in happiness. Almost all women who weight train gain a sense of self confidence and empowerment. This is mainly down to two things, firstly, as with anyone who lifts, its the realisation of how much stronger you become during everyday tasks. Secondly, the fact that becoming leaner through weight training heightens the sensitivity of dopa-mine receptors (this is what gives off endorphin's during training) which then in turn makes you happier.
- 3. Thirdly, lifting weights strengthens your bones and your muscle tissue. If you begin to do regular weight training then your bone density and tendons become stronger which is brilliant for reducing the risk of injury and also preventing osteoporosis!
- 4. If you are looking to shift body fat, they you should definitely lift weights. Weight training helps increase muscle mass which in return increases the body's metabolism. The ratio of body fat compared to muscle is therefore reduced and so is your overall percentage of body fat.
- 5. If you are looking to shift body fat, they you should definitely lift weights. Weight training helps increase muscle mass which in return increases the body's metabolism. The ratio of body fat compared to muscle is therefore reduced and so is your overall percentage of body fat.
- 6. Lastly, variation is absolute key; not just for women but also men. The majority of people will do cardio and get bored and then find training more of a chore than anything. Weight training give you variety and there are plans to plans to tackle for a whole lifetime. There's just so much that you can do with weights, boredom wont exist. Plus, the results will keep you going for longer!
So, if you're still under any doubt as to the benefits of weight training for women, try a 4 week weight training plan and watch your results soar! Also, if you would like some supplements to complement your new training regime, take a look at the Transformation Stack. If you have any questions, just post them here and i'll get back to you as quick as possible!
image courtesy of shutterstock