We take a look at some of the ways that competitive bodybuilders and cover models showcase definition and get ready for the stage or that all important cover shoot.
1. If you have ever been to a bodybuilding show, one of the first things that you will notice or even smell is the fake tan! The reason for this is that tanned skin showcases definition and also looks better under harsh lights. So if you want to make sure that we can see every inch of those muscles that you have built over the last 7 weeks, try adding some competition tan. Beware though; too much fake tan is never a good look. ;)
2. Load your protein then scale it back to promote a mean muscle sparing fat burn. This type of protein cycle is only recommend for a few days and its essential to take on board extra amino acids to stop your body breaking down muscle tissue. For the next 3 days consume an additional 1.5grams of protein for every pound of body weight and then for the final 3 days cut that protein intake to 0.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight.
3. When doing a shoot or going on stage, many of us are looking for an extra cut look. The key to cutting is to draw fluid from outside of your muscle cells and bring it inside to give a full and defined look. Salt encourages the retention of water, so we recommend actively including salt in your diet for the next 4 days. This will encourage your body to actively flush out both salt and water. 2 days before your final pictures cut salt out of your diet all together. Yes that means reading your food labels and making sure that you avoid it all together.
4. That Dry look! Cover models and those who step on stage are often chasing that dry look! Its not something that can be sustained throughout your life but it’s a look which can really showcase your muscles. In order to dry out, you have to load and then cut water. This process is done over 3 days. On the first day you need to consume an extra 2 litres of water on top of what you normally drink. So if you drink 2 litres of water, you need to drink 4! This will encourage your body to flush water. Then on day two cut your water intake in half from the previous day. So that’s back down to 2 litres of water if we assume that you started on 2. Finally, on your last day (the day of your final images) cut your water intake to no more than a litre. Our warning here is to make sure that you do drink some water on the day of your show or shoot as no water is extreme and dangerous.
5. REST!! That’s right, make sure you are getting at least 8 hours of sleep. Your body needs time to repair and rest is crucial for this. If your struggling, try combining zinc, magnesium and vitamin B6 to get a deeper sleep!
Remember that non of these tips are to be used over the long term and are specifically used to showcase your muscles to the best of your ability.