Here is a list of the ten biggest gym mistakes that I have seen people make.
Just thought I would drop in this week with some observations that I have seen in the gym this year. These may be slowing your gains down and stopping you from seeing the benefit from all the hard work you are putting in with your training.
1. Too much cardio and skipping the weights section to ‘lose weight’ – we have seen it far too many times, people doing hours of cardio becoming skinny fat.
Endless cardio will burn muscle and may push your metabolism into a worse state than it started. Hitting the weights, will keep a stimulus on your muscles to make your body actually keep it and keep your metabolism up at the same time.
2. Keeping the same routine for too long, once it has stalled, but you love it so it’s all good. – If you are progressing, brilliant, strength and fitness improving, brilliant, but if your gains have stopped, don’t be afraid to switch your routine. Just because you like something doesn’t mean it is the best thing to do in order for you to hit your goals.
3. Using soreness as a guidance to whether you had a good workout or not. – Just because you haven’t experienced DOMS (delayed onset of muscle soreness) for a while doesn’t instantly mean that your workouts are bad. It could be a major indicator that your body is recovering well and that your nutrition is spot on.
4. Using cardio machines to count the calories you burn as the only factor of how hard you work. – Everyone burns calories at a different rate depending on many different factors.
A machine will not be able to tell you your exact expenditure, just use them as a guide not as gospel.
5. Not giving yourself the right amount of time in order to get the results you want. – So many people expect changes instantly, but the truth of the matter is that consistency will be key in your goals.
It won’t happen overnight but it will happen, if you are consistent and work hard giving your body the right amount of time.
6. You finish the gym, then head on and eat as much as you can of the wrong stuff completely undoing your results. – So many people I’ve seen go straight to fast food restaurants straight after their session, not saying it shouldn’t be done, but not every session. If anything, stretch, cool down and refuel with a nice Bodybuilding Warehouse Pure Whey 80 shake then go home have something nutritious to feed your hard work ready for the next session.
7. Lifting too heavy too soon. – Lifting heavy is great, but so many beginners aim to run before they can walk. Learn the good form and how the muscles are supposed to work in their true biomechanical function and how they feel when they are being contracted under the tension of the weights you are lifting.
8. Looking to get that sought after 6 pack by repeatedly crunching over and over. – There is a time and a place for crunches, but working them over and over can lead to imbalances between abdominals and lower back. Not only that but one of the biggest things stopping people having that ‘6 pack’ is their actual body fat levels, it is really true when they say that abs are made in the kitchen. Good nutrition is key in revealing those abs. If you are looking to follow a good ab routine check out BBW Athlete Lee Malone’s ab routine.
9. Learning by copying ‘that big dude’ in the gym. – Not saying he doesn’t always know what he is doing but from experience, a lot of people know what works for them and if you copy them it doesn’t always relate to gains your end. Learn what works for you, the individual. No one is the same.
10. Working out repeatedly with the tank on empty. – Once again there is will be some times when empty tanks will be beneficial but I’ve seen too many gym goers fuelling their workout with just water and expecting strength gains along with muscle gains.
You wouldn’t drive a car along Route 66 without any petrol, tank on red and expect to get to the other end now would you?
A great supplement to include if you are wanting to train on an empty stomach is intra workout iBCAAs 8:1:1 or even if fat loss is your goal, a major boost would be having black coffee with Bodybuilding Warehouse Coconut Oil included in it.
Hopefully this has cleared some of the things up and you will be well on the right track moving forwards. Happy lifting!